Your Nav Bar Here

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Flick friday: The amazing Spiderman

It's about time I wrote down what I thought of the new Spiderman film. And well, it didn't reach my high expectations really. Why is that? I have a hard time describing it, but I'll try anyway.

First of all it must be said that I did like most of the actors in the film. Andrew Garfield played a believable Spiderman although he was a tad too touchy-feely for my taste. Emma stone on the other hand really surprised me in her role al Spiderman's girlfriend. I had never seen any of her work, or maybe I did but I can't remember. She seems to be quite a good actress and I think she is really pretty.

But the best was definitely Martin Sheen playing the role of uncle Ben. He really brought uncle Ben to life with his honest, innocent yet firm way of acting. To bad he wasn't in the film all that much since (spoiler alert!) he dies early on. 

The bond between Peter Parker and his only remaining guardian, aunt May could have been better I think. As I remembered, from the few comics I read, the previous films and the tv series, she meant everything to him. Here it seemed more like he meant everything for her, but he didn't care all that much.
I wasn't quite sure what to think about yet another Spiderman origins story. You'd think, how different can it be? 
Apparently it can be something totally different. It makes you start to wonder how the story of the amazing Spiderman, as told in the comic, really goes.


I enjoyed it that there was quite a lot of focus on the relationship between Peter and Gwen Stacy. Things like this usually get forgotten in super hero films, but this time, they really got into it. The natural flow of it was really appealing. Peter has had a crush on her for quite some time, but she never looks at him twice. But then their paths do cross again and they start to fall for each other.

In a way, it was nice they started all over again. Seeing how Peter Parker got bitten, going through all the rough patches to eventually becoming the hero of the day. But to be honest, during the film I thought several times: "How long is this film?" Not that it was boring, but the balance of the everyday life stuff comparing to the action seemed off. It took ages before Spiderman climbed a wall or swung from one building to another.




Overall it was a nice film to see, but I had expected more. Is this one that much better than the very first Spiderman film? Maybe I should see that one again just to be sure. 


Did you like it?

No comments:

Post a Comment